Friday, May 21, 2010

Swiss Chard part deux: Bacon and Swiss Chard Pasta

Last week, I bought some mixed (rainbow) Swiss Chard at the public market, organic and locally grown.  I had enough to make 3 chard dishes for myself.  I re-made the Stir-fried greens with brown rice, this time adding shitaake mushrooms that I bought at the Asian market with the baby bok choy (good choice).  Tonight I made Bacon and Swiss Chard Pasta, and next I will make Braised Swiss Chard with Currants.

The pasta was really good.  Unfortunately, I can't think of how to make it vegetarian, since the bacon is so integral to the flavors.  

Bacon and Swiss Chard Pasta
  • linguine for 3ish modest servings
  • 4 pieces of bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
  • 1 medium red onion or 2 large shallots, halved and sliced.
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced.
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional, I like a little kick)
  • 1 large bunch Swiss chard, stemmed, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or 2 oz feta cheese, whatever is your taste.
  1. Cook linguine in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking liquid. 
  2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until beginning to crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet. 
  3. Add onion/shallots and saute over medium-high heat until softened slightly, then add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and saute a few more minutes. 
  4. Add Swiss chard and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add pasta cooking liquid to skillet. Toss until chard is wilted and tender, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle vinegar over; cook 1 minute. 
  5. Add linguine and oil to sauce in pot and toss to coat. Transfer to large bowl. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
I hate measuring out pasta, so when I made mine, I made a bunch of linguine (1/3 the box?) and then added to the greens a little at a time until I felt the proportion was right.  I had some left over--will be a quick buttered noodles & garlic powder snack sometime!

I also made the whole package of bacon.  I like to have some slices in the fridge for breakfast sandwiches, and I also like to chop some up and flash freeze them to add to salads and other dishes for flavor. 
Also, if I had some grape tomatoes, I would have added some, halved, at the end.  Would have made the dish a little lighter and more summer-like!



No comments:

Post a Comment